Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Life of a 9-5er in Utah in December

Winter is hard for a 9-5er. When I leave for work, the sun is barely rising. When I get in my car after a long day in the office, the sun is saying her goodbyes. My restless body retreats to the gym for stimulation.
I look around the gym for an open treadmill and race another office rat for the open spot. I spend only a second thinking about all of the germs living on the buttons as I start the machine up and try to ignore the sweat drops staring at me from the control panel. I slowly increase the speed on the treadmill and start to take a good look around. After a moment of people watching I look down….only 2 minutes. This is going to be a long work out. I aimlessly flip through the channels on my monitor and settle for a Friends rerun. A few moments later I resume my people watching. I wonder if she would wear those shorts if she knew how much of her cellulite was showing? Does he realize that every time he walks past that mirror he pauses and stares for a minute? Do they ever workout when they come here, or do they really only come to talk? Aww, I hope when I’m that old I’m still that physically fit. Man I’m so tired, how long have I been on here? Do they still make neon biker shorts, or has he really kept those since the 80's? I can’t believe how much I pay to run on this treadmill like some kind of a lab rat. Only a few more months of frigid temperatures and icy side walks and I’ll be free again!

No comments: